STARCOM MEDIAVEST GROUP Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS
EDELMAN London, UNITED KINGDOM
PARTIZAN Paris, FRANCE
Bruno Bertelli/Cristiana Boccassini
Fabrizio Tamagni/Michela Talamona
International Account Director
Partizan Darkroom Paris
Maxime Pozzi Garcia/Fabrizio Squeo
Royal Post Paris
Post Production Company
Armin Van Buuren
Global Heineken Communication Manager
Communications Manager Group Commerce
Strategy And Managing Director
Kristen Robinson/Renee Lee/James Miles
Global Account Director/Globak Account Manager/Global Digital Director
Ben Meyers/Jeremy Arditi
In a sea of corporate responsible drinking messages, how can Heineken, the world’s most valuable international premium beer brand, do things differently? How can we deliver a message to a thrill-seeking, fun-loving, audience that initiates real behavioural change?
Make drinking slower on a night-out cool.
Show - not tell - how amazing music can change the focus of a night out from drinking to dancing.
Prove that the better the music, the more people will dance - therefore the less they will drink.
In a world first, partner with the world’s best DJ and global role-model, Armin van Buuren (AvB), to conduct a social experiment. #Dance More, Drink Slow (#DMDS).
Use AvB’s status as a cultural icon and music influencer’s respect to give credibility to a topic that does not traditionally engage the audience.
AvB exclusively created a track, ‘Save my Night’, aimed at the core to specifically trigger this behavioural dance floor.
How it worked: Two identical club nights. Same club, same amount of people, same observation time, and one difference: The DJ playing on the second night was the best DJ in the world.
• Heineken’s brand impact on drinking in moderation has improved by +9%.
• Made the exclusive track world famous
• The Experiment film - showed that alcohol consumption on Night 2 was 42% lower than Night 1. It introduced media and consumers to a new concept of responsible drinking – the first time a brand has ever targeted consumers at the point of consumption.
• DJs all over the world followed Armin’s lead to promote #DMDS (e.g. Russia, Mexico, Vietnam, Chile)
Deliver a responsible drinking message that works, that young people actually want to hear and they think is cool. The target demographic is most receptive to smart ideas that demonstrate innovation and creativity.
Output & Awareness Impact
• Media coverage in 25 markets
• 500 pieces of coverage across all media channels (print, online & broadcast)
• +147M impressions or unique users reached via online articles
• +17M earned Twitter reach
• +212M reach across all media channels
• #DMDS has been tagged 8,400 times
• 88% key message penetration
• 92% positive sentiment across total media coverage
• Alcohol consumption on Night 2 of ‘The Experiment’ was 42% lower
• DJs all over the world were following Armin’s lead to promote moderation using #DMDS (e.g. Russia, Mexico, Vietnam, Chile)
• Heineken’s brand impact on moderation has improved by +9%
• +12% think that Heineken acts responsibly
• +18% would recommend/promote Heineken
Action & Business Impact
• Nearly 26 million views of The Experiment (most watched Heineken content ever)
• The Experiment was shared 134,724 times
• Armin’s track ‘Save my night’ was streamed +690,000 times on Spotify
• Armin’s track has been remixed by other DJs a +100 times
Our primary asset, ‘The Experiment’, was shot on consecutive nights in a Miami club.
The film featured the exclusive ‘Save my Night’ track and definitively proved that music can be the spur for behaviour change amongst party goers. Alcohol consumption on Night 2 of ‘The Experiment’ was 42% lower than Night 1.
Additional tailored content, including 1-2-1 access to AvB as well as exclusive previews of ‘Save my Night’ track and a Spotify partnership, enabled lifestyle, marketing, trade, music and business media to understand #DMDS, resulting in record breaking results.
Alcohol abuse among young people mostly occurs on a night out, when they are least likely to listen to responsible drinking messages.
As the world’s most valuable international premium beer brand, Heineken is already involved in the responsible consumption conversation but this is the first time a brand has targeted people at point of consumption.
Music, in the right hands, can act as a catalyst for change. By showing - rather than telling - how drinking slower makes a night-out better, party goers can understand a tangible benefit over the course of their night out.
Use a world famous DJ and an exclusive and unique track, to deliver this message at the point of consumption – on the dance floor.