|THE CLASSICAL COMEBACK
|CLASSICAL MUSIC FESTIVAL
|B01. ACQUISITION & RETENTION
DDB BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
DDB BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
CAVIAR Brussels, BELGIUM
|Executive Creative Director
|Stefan Van Den Boogaard
|Kaat De Brandt
|Head Of Strategy
|Maarten Van Daele
|Head Of Digital
B-Classic is an innovative Belgian classical music festival. They leverage the power of classical music to engage new audiences, without compromising on quality.
How could we reconnect classical music with young people? With the ever-shortening attention span in mind, we launched a new music video format that combines the timeless emotion of classical music with the visual talent of a contemporary director. Our idea is based on the insight that we live in a visual world, where people discover music via YouTube & social media.
The first Classical Comeback music video was launched on YouTube. We chose to produce a music video because YouTube is one of the primary channels were youngsters experience new music. The video was placed on an online platform where curious fans of the classical comeback video could watch a documentary on the project, read the manifesto and even submit their own classical comeback video.
Describe the creative solution to the brief/objective.
The Classical Comeback is the first music video for a classical composer. B-classic sent Raf Reyntjens, one of Belgium’s finest music video directors, to South Korea. He shot B-classic’s first Classical Comeback music video and the local Wayeva group performed a unique choreography on Dvořák's New World. Asia today is what America was 100 years ago: the new world.
• We racked up over 4 million views on YouTube
• All the big entertainment sites like 9Gag and Buzzfeed picked up the video.
• We stirred a debate in the national press, got featured on Belgian's late night and on the news.
• From Japan to CNN, it didn’t go unnoticed at news redactions all over the world.
• Belgian TV channels such as '8' and even MTV agreed to air the Classical Comeback video in their normal programming.
• Never before did the festival get this amount of media attention, never before did the festival sell out.