|Product/Service||VODAFONE FIRST CONCERT |
||D01. INTEGRATED CAMPAIGN LED BY PR|
BLYDE Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS
BLYDE Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS
||General Creative Director
The Vodafone #Firsts campaign challenges people to experience something amazing for the first time with the help of technology. Our challenge was to create maximum visibility for the Vodafone #Firsts platform in the Netherlands and to increase the emotional engagement with the brand. To achieve this, we came up with a story everyone can relate to: hearing music for the first time.
The hero of this story is 19-year-old Vera, deaf since birth but recently able to hear again thanks to a cochlear implant. We asked musical genius Kyteman to make her dream come true: experiencing a concert for the first time that was composed especially for her.
1. Activate people to send in their ‘first song’ for Vera
2. Activate people to post their own firsts
3. Maximum visibility/reach: €1 million media value
4. Sold-out concert: 700 guests
5. One national television item
An integrated PR approach, implementing social media, paid media, an event and video content. We rolled out the campaign in three phases:
1. Pre-launch: building momentum, engaging audience
2. Launch: concert and sharing the experience
3. Post-launch: in-depth storytelling of entire journey
- Finding an artist who matched the brand values and had enough (musical) intelligence to compose a concert for Vera.
- Engaging the target group before the concert
- Credibility: Ensuring the campaign didn’t become too commercially branded
- People in six countries were touched by campaign
- Total reach: 110 million impressions
- Media value: €1.7 million
The criteria for success were based on various objectives:
- Media value of €1 million
- Widespread coverage and (social media) reach
- One item on primetime television
- Improved emotional engagement towards Vodafone
- Activate the target group to post their own #firsts
The target audience for this campaign was Dutch consumers. It was highly important that the campaign reached a generic audience, instead of solely engaging niche groups.
The goals were set by the client. We conduced research into which media would be interested in an exclusive partnership to examine how we could achieve the set goals.
We outperformed all set objectives. A highlight was an interview with Vera and Kyteman in the extremely popular television talk show ‘RTL Late Night’ (1.3 million viewers). It created extensive social media buzz, especially when Vera stated that experiencing the concert was like being born for the first time.
- Total media value: €1.7 million
- 3 national TV items (primetime), 7 radio items and over 270 publications (including The Daily Mail with a reach of 55.2 million)
- Total reach: over 110 million impressions
- Sold out concert
- Social media reach: 7.2 million
- Thousands of song suggestions via social media
- 99% positive engagement
- Trending topic on Twitter (twice) and Instagram
- Documentary: 900,000 views / 5,000 interactions
- Highest number of submissions on the Vodafone #firsts platform (outnumbering the UK, France and Germany)
- Survey result: Concert improved online brand sentiment (12% to 36%).
After a one month concept period, the campaign commenced on August 6th. The concert took place in the iconic pop temple Paradiso in Amsterdam on the 25th of August.
Per phase, we implemented multiple assets:
- Introductory video (shared with press)
- Exclusive interview with Vera in largest national newspaper
- Song submissions via Facebook and Twitter (#firstconcert)
- Dutch artists covered a song and shared it on social media
- Updates by Kyteman on social media
- Inviting journalists and influencers to concert
- Television interview
- Documentary (shared with press; seeding on online channels)
- Video registration of song (shared with press)
- Documentary trailer aired at various cinemas nationwide
We faced two challenges: Kyteman was media shy and Vera’s hearing impairment restricted her to face-to-face interviews. To combat this, we secured exclusive deals with the leading title per media channel.
Vodafone #Firsts connects people with technology to empower them to experience amazing things for the first time. On a global platform, consumers were asked to submit what they wanted to experience for the first time. These stories are all proof of Vodafone’s brand promise: Power to you.
This campaign was set up to create maximum visibility for the Vodafone #Firsts platform in the Netherlands, to improve the emotional engagement with the brand and to activate the target group to post their own #firsts.
We set up an integrated approach with multiple (PR) tools that we implemented at various phases to maximise impact:
To engage our target group with Vera and Kyteman’s journey. We started by introducing Vera and Kyteman and the challenge they were facing and activated people to submit the perfect first song for Vera.
The big bang of the whole campaign. We organised the event and invited influencers and journalists. As we expected, a lot of people shared their experience during the concert, allowing outsiders to tap into the unique vibe of the extraordinary concert.
Due to the momentum built in the first phase, all national media were very willing to cover Vera’s story. Directly after the concert, Vera and Kyteman were interviewed during the biggest national TV talk show. The following weeks were used to share the entire story through interviews and a documentary.